Tuesday 3 April 2012

Quick and Easy Painting Rust Tutorial

So I've decided to do a quick tutorial on how I painted the rust on my trial Plaguebearers. Not many colours used, not much time and give a decent look. All but the finished photos were taken with my phone so excuse bad lighting etc..

I started by basecoating the metal with GW Boltgun Metal with a Large Brush. Boltgun Metak is nice dark metalic colour which is perfect for the base.

More after the break...


The next step was to apply the first layer of rust. Being the first layer I wanted this to be quite dirty and not 'too' orange. So I got GW's Calthan Brown and Macharius Solar Orange and mixed this 50/50. I then added water to it to a runny consistancy. I applied this on the metal with a Medium Drybrush. I stippled this on in a blotchy manner.

Next I got some Blazing Orange. This was also thinned down with water to the same consistancy as before. Again this was stippled with a Small Drybrush but trying to keep most of the colour in the middle of what was done last step.


Its finally getting there buts its lacking that bright orange thats usually found in well rusted metals. So I grabbed the pot of Fiery Orange. Watered this down with water again and applied this alot more sparingly with a Detail Brush. Again this was done more central to the last colour to show it building up and highlighting the previous colour.


Now I wanted to highlight the metal. I got my pot of Chainmail and my Fine Detail Brush and added little strokes to the blade. Again it was in random directions and not too thick.


All thats left to do is base the model and give it a varnish as shown -



These will be going up on eBay tonight. I bought them to test out a few colours for my Fantasy army and I am very happy with the results. If you would like to bid they can be found here later on tonight - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/elfordminis/m.html?item=170816004944&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

2 comments:

  1. I will probably use this technique on my Ogre weapons. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries matey. Post some pictures and let me know how it goes. If you like it could you also link it :)

    ReplyDelete